How To Unlock Bootloader Of Xiaomi Redmi Y3 [Official Method]
Almost all the Xiaomi Phones come initially with locked bootloader which doesn’t allow any custom binaries to be installed and it keeps the device safe. But many of the users don’t like MIUI for various reasons and they want to switch to a different custom ROM or they want install some mods over MIUI by rooting their phone. The very first thing to achieve it is to unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Y3. After unlocking the bootloader, you will able to root your phone, install custom recovery like TWRP Recovery and also install custom ROMs which are available in XDA forum.
Unlocking the Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Y3 is not so difficult. Xiaomi officially allows you to unlock the bootloader. The unlock tool is also provided by Xiaomi officially so there is no any hassle to unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Y3.
Xiaomi Redmi Y3 Brief Description:
Xiaomi Redmi Y3 is a new phone under Y series which was released on April 2019. The phone comes with decent features as mentioned below:
- Display: 6.26-inch with 2.5D curved glass display, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Resolution: HD+ (1520 × 720 pixels); 19:9 aspect ratio
- Chipset: Snapdragon 632; 14nm Mobile Platform
- CPU: Octa-Core 1.8GHz
- GPU: Adreno 506
- RAM: 3GB/4GB
- Storage: 32GB/64GB storage, expandable memory up to 512GB with microSD
- Software & UI: Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 10
- Rear Camera: Dual Camera setup – (12MP primary camera, f/2.2 aperture, PDAF) + (2MP depth sensor), LED flash
- Front Camera: 32MP, 1/2.8″ sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/2.25 aperture
- Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery: 4000mAh battery with 10-watt fast charging
- Colors: Elegant Blue, Bold Red, Prime Black
Thus, Xiaomi Redmi Y3 is one of the best budget smartphone with decent features and now let’s start the tutorial on how to unlock bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Y3 with official method. But before that let me explain you the advantages and disadvantages of unlocking the bootloader.
Advantages: Reasons To Unlock Bootloader Of Xiaomi Redmi Y3
- Install Custom Recovery: After unlocking the bootloader, you can now install custom recovery on your phone as stock recovery comes with several limitations and custom recovery for eg. TWRP Recovery provides several functions for the phone.
- Root Your Phone: Locked bootloader doesn’t allow to root your phone but you can do that after unlocking bootloader. But remember, only root through SuperSu or Magisk via custom recovery, don’t use one click root tools as they can damage your phone permanently.
- Install Custom ROM: If you are fed up with the official MIUI ROM of your phone then its time to unlock the booloader of your Xiaomi Redmi Go so that you will be able to install custom ROMs and enjoy the AOSP ROMs.
Apart from these, there are also various other advantages you can achieve after unlocking the bootloader.
Disadvantages: Reasons Not To Unlock Bootloader Of Xiaomi Redmi Y3
- OTA Updates: Unlocked phones tend to receive very few OTA updates that it pushed by the Xiaomi itself. You cannot upgrade to the latest official MIUI ROM once you unlock the Bootloader but you can do it manually if you need. Only automatic updates aren’t pushed.
- Brick Your Phone: Once you unlock your phone’s bootloader, your phone is now exposed to several risks. It may brick as well if you fail to install custom mods, recoveries or ROMs due to untrusted files or your phone can even brick while rooting. So be cautious for that. Check out How to Unbrick Phone without PC if your bricked your phone.
- Find Device: You cannot use Mi Find through Mi account once you have unlocked your bootloader. But don’t worry, you can still find your device through google account.
This was all about the merits and demerits on unlocking bootloader of Redmi Y3 . Now, let’s begin with the real unlocking procedure.
You will need the following things to unlock the bootloader:
- Xiaomi Redmi Y3
- A PC (I prefer Windows OS)
- USB Data Cable (Original)
- Mi Unlock Tool
- Mi Account associated with phone
- USB Drivers (adb and fastboot)
How To Unlock Bootloader Of Xiaomi Redmi Y3
Make sure you have all the things as I mentioned above. Then follow the instructions below to unlock the Bootloader.
- Turn on your PC and install the required drivers.Get Minimal ADB and Fastboot Drivers and 15 Seconds ADB installer. The driver installation procedure is mentioned on their respective pages.
- Now Download Mi Unlock Tool from Official MI Unlock Tool Download Page. Sign in through the Mi Account Logged On your Xiaomi Redmi Y3 and Download the tool on your pc.
3. Bind your Mi account to Mi Unlock Tool.
For binding, on your phone, Go to Settings -> About Phone and Tap on Miui Version 7-8 times continuously until it says ” You are now a developer” then go back to Additional Settings -> Developers Options -> Mi Unlock Status -> Add account and Device.
4. Now, log on to i.mi.com through your Mi Browser and make sure your device is shown online on Find Device option.
5. On your PC, Extract the MI Unlock Tool Zip and install Mi Drivers which is inside the Zip archive then Run Mi Unlock as an administrator.
6. Log in with the same Mi Account and it should tell you to plug your phone in fastboot mode.
7. Turn Off your Xiaomi Redmi Y3 and press and hold Volume – and Power button simultaneously for few seconds until a robot comes in the screen saying fastboot.
8. Connect your phone to PC using original MI USB Cable and Mi Unlock Tool should show your device as connected. If not then re-install the adb and fastboot drivers properly.
9. Click on Unlock Button and wait for 100% and reboot. You will see Unlocked text on the boot screen and Congratulations, you have successfully unlocked the Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Y3.
10. If it fails then wait for 72 hours and then retry, it should unlock.
So, this was all about how to unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Y3 Officially. Now you can install custom recovery , root your phone or do anything which were not possible to do without unlocking the bootloader.
Don’t forget to see: