Are you wondering how to unlock bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Note 4? Unlocking bootloader is essential smartphone users. You cannot root Redmi Note 4 without unlocking the bootloader. Installing TWRP and Custom ROMs isn’t possible without unlocking bootloader. So I am here to help you unlock bootloader of Redmi Note 4.
Most of the Xiaomi Phones come with a locked bootloader. It doesn’t allow to install any custom binaries. But many of the users don’t like MIUI for various reasons. They want to switch to a different custom ROM. They want to install some mods over MIUI by rooting their phone. The first thing is to unlock bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Note 4.
After unlocking the bootloader, you will able to root your phone. You can install custom recovery like TWRP. You can install custom ROMs which are available in XDA forum.
Unlocking Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 is not difficult. Xiaomi officially allows you to unlock bootloader. It provides the official Mi unlock tool for unlocking bootloader. So, there is no hassle to unlock the bootloader of Redmi Note 4.
We are here discussing the official method of unlocking bootloader. You need unlock permission. You cannot proceed to oem unlocking process without permission from Xiaomi. But don’t worry, I am providing every step below.
So, let’s start the process to unlock bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Note 4. We are not unlocking bootloader with an unofficial method. So, you need to use Mi Unlock Tool. I have explained a detailed guide on how to use Mi Unlock tool below.
But before that let me explain to why and why not to unlock the bootloader.
Advantages: Reasons To Unlock Bootloader Of Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Install Custom Recovery:
Stock recovery comes with several limitations. After unlocking bootloader, you can install custom TWRP recovery. TWRP Recovery provides several functions for the phone. You can install several mods.
Root Redmi Note 4:
Locked bootloader doesn’t allow to root your phone. But you can do that after unlocking the bootloader. But root only through SuperSu or Magisk via custom recovery. Don’t use one click root tools as they can damage your phone.
Install Custom ROMs:
Don’t want to use the official MIUI ROM on your phone? Its time for unlocking bootloader of your Xiaomi Redmi Note 4. After that, you will be able to install custom ROMs and enjoy the AOSP ROMs.
Apart from these, there are also various other advantages you can achieve after unlocking the bootloader.
Disadvantages: Reasons Not To Unlock Bootloader Of Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
No OTA Updates:
Unlocked phones receive few OTA official updates from the Xiaomi. You can’t upgrade to latest MIUI ROM after unlocking bootloader. But you can do it yourself. Only automatic updates aren’t pushed. So, make sure you agree with these changes.
Once you unlock your phone’s bootloader, your phone is exposed to several risks. It may brick as well if you fail to install custom mods, recoveries or ROMs. Do not install untrusted files or your phone can even hard brick. So be cautious about that. Check out the guide to Unbrick Phone without PC if you bricked your phone.
No Find Device:
You cannot use Mi Find through Mi account once you have unlocked your bootloader. But don’t worry, you can use your google account to locate the phone.
This was all about the merits and demerits of unlocking bootloader. So, let’s begin with the real unlocking process.
You will need the following things to unlock the bootloader:
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
- A PC (I prefer Windows OS)
- USB Data Cable (Original)
- Mi Unlock Tool
- Mi Account linked with the phone
- USB Drivers (adb and fastboot)
Steps for How To Unlock Bootloader Of Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Make sure you have all the things as I mentioned above. Then follow the instructions below to unlock the oem.
- Turn on your PC and install the required drivers. Get Minimal ADB and Fastboot Drivers and 15 Seconds ADB installer. The driver installation procedure is mentioned on their respective pages.
- Go here and apply for permission only if it asks. You cannot unlock bootloader without permission. Now Download Mi Unlock Tool from Official MI Unlock Tool Download Page. Sign in through the Mi Account Logged On your phone and download the tool on your pc.
3. Bind your Mi account to Mi Unlock Tool.
For the binding, On your phone, Go to Settings -> About Phone. Tap on Miui Version 7-8 times. Tap until it says ” You are a developer”. then go back to Additional Settings -> Developers Options. > Mi Unlock Status -> Add account and Device.
4. Log on to i.mi.com through your Mi Browser. Use the Mi account logged on your phone with mobile number. Make sure your device is online on Find Device option.
5. On your PC, Extract the MI Unlock Tool Zip. Install Mi Drivers which is inside the Zip archive. Then Run Mi Unlock as an administrator.
6. Log in with the same Mi Account. It should tell you to plug your phone in fastboot mode.
7. Turn Off your Xiaomi Redmi Note 4. Press and hold Volume – and Power button for few seconds. A robot should come in the screen saying fastboot.
8. Connect your phone to PC using original MI USB Cable. Mi Unlock Tool should show your device as connected. If not then re-install the adb and fastboot drivers.
9. Click on Unlock Button and wait for 100% and reboot. Mi Unlock Status will be green. You will see the Unlocked text on the boot screen. Congrats, you have successfully unlocked the bootloader of Redmi Note 4.
10. If it fails then wait for 72 hours and retry, it should unlock. If not, you should try unofficial methods.
So, this was all about how to unlock bootloader of Redmi Note 4. Now, you can install the custom recovery or root your phone. Or do anything which wasn’t possible without unlocking the bootloader.