How To Unlock Bootloader Of Xiaomi Redmi Go in few easy steps
Many of us don’t want to use official MIUI due to many reasons. We may be bored with the official version, we wanr some extra features, we want to root our phone, install custom recovery or custom ROMs as MIUI is buggy and heavy whereas Custom ROMs are smooth, bugless and lightweight. But for all these things to happen you need to unlock bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Go as it initially comes with locked bootloader which doesn’t let us to install any custom things on our phone. Android devices with locked bootloader are secure which blocks the custom installation and protects from any risks on phone.
So, you must unlock the bootloader in order to install custom mods, recoveries, ROMs or root your Xiaomi Redmi Go. So in this post I’m going to tutor you on how to unlock bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Go in a few easy steps.
Xiaomi Redmi Go brief specifications:
Xiaomi Redmi Go probably the cheapest Xiaomi phone in the markey with best features on that price range. The phone consists of following specifications:
- Operating System: Android 8.1 Oreo (Go edition)
- CPU: Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A53
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 425 (28nm)
- GPU: Adreno 308
- SIM (s): Dual SIM
- Display: 5.0 inches HD IPS LCD screen with 16:9 aspect ratio
- Rear cameras: 8 MP with LED flash and HDR
- Video: 1080p
- Front camera: 5 MP with HDR
- RAM: 1 GB
- ROM:8 GB (expandable up to 128 GB with a dedicated slot)
- Battery: Non- removable Li-Ion 3000 mAh battery, MicroUSB 2.0
- Sensors: Accelerometer, proximity
- Colors: Blue and Black
- Others: Bluetooth 4.1, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, WiFi Direct, hotspot
Although the phone comes in a bugdet segment with minimal specifications but it is not limited only upto specifications. Xiaomi phones tend to get enough developers to support even the cheapest phone with great custom development and unlocking bootloader of your Xiaomi Redmi Go is a must for getting custom support from xda developers.
Advantages of Unlocking Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Go:
Unlocking the Bootloader gives you the following advantages but it is not limited only up to following list. You can even get more of that.
- Install Custom Recovery: After unlocking the bootloader, you can now install custom recovery on your phone as stock recovery comes with several limitations and custom recovery for eg. TWRP Recovery provides several functions for the phone.
- Root Your Phone: Locked bootloader doesn’t allow to root your phone but you can do that after unlocking bootloader. But remember, only root through SuperSu or Magisk via custom recovery, don’t use one click root tools as they can damage your phone permanently.
- Install Custom ROM: If you are fed up with the official MIUI ROM of your phone then its time to unlock the booloader of your Xiaomi Redmi Go so that you will be able to install custom ROMs and enjoy the AOSP ROMs.
Reasons Not To Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Go:
Unlocking bootloader also has the disadvantages. Please don’t unlock your bootloader unless you don’t agree to have the following disadvantages.
- OTA Updates: Unlocked phones tend to receive very few OTA updates that it pushed by the Xiaomi itself. You cannot upgrade to the latest official MIUI ROM once you unlock the Bootloader but you can do it manually if you need. Only automatic updates aren’t pushed.
- Brick Your Phone: Once you unlock your phone’s bootloader, your phone is now exposed to several risks. It may brick as well if you fail to install custom mods, recoveries or ROMs due to untrusted files or your phone can even brick while rooting. So be cautious for that. Check out How to Unbrick Phone without PC if your bricked your phone.
- Find Device: You cannot use Mi Find through Mi account once you have unlocked your bootloader. But don’t worry, you can still find your device through google account.
So, this was all about the merits and demerits of unlocking Bootloader of your phone. Now let’s dig into the unlock procedure.
How To Unlock Bootloader Of Xiaomi Redmi Go
For Unlocking the Bootloader of your phone, you will need the following things so make sure you have it.
- Xiaomi Redmi Go
- A PC (I prefer Windows OS)
- USB Data Cable (Original)
- Mi Unlock Tool
- Mi Account associated with phone
- USB Drivers (adb and fastboot)
I suppose that you have all the things mentioned above. So let’s start the process.
- Turn on your PC and install the required drivers.Get Minimal ADB and Fastboot Drivers and 15 Seconds ADB installer. The driver installation procedure is mentioned on their respective pages.
- Now Download Mi Unlock Tool from Official MI Unlock Tool Download Page. Sign in through the Mi Account Logged On your Xiaomi Redmi Go and Download the tool on your pc.
3. Bind your Mi account to Mi Unlock Tool.
For binding, on your phone, Go to Settings -> About Phone and Tap on Miui Version 7-8 times continuously until it says ” You are now a developer” then go back to Additional Settings -> Developers Options -> Mi Unlock Status -> Add account and Device.
4. Now, log on to i.mi.com through your Mi Browser and make sure your device is shown online on Find Device option.
5. On your PC, Extract the MI Unlock Tool Zip and install Mi Drivers which is inside the Zip archive then Run Mi Unlock as an administrator.
6. Log in with the same Mi Account and it should tell you to plug your phone in fastboot mode.
7. Turn Off your Xiaomi Redmi Go and press and hold Volume – and Power button simultaneously for few seconds until a robot comes in the screen saying fastboot.
8. Connect your phone to PC using original MI USB Cable and Mi Unlock Tool should show your device as connected. If not then re install the adb and fastboot drivers.
9. Click on Unlock Button and wait for 100% and reboot. You will see Unlocked text on the boot screen and Congratulations, you have successfully unlocked the Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Go.
10. If it fails then wait for 72 hours and then retry, it should unlock.
So, this was all about how to unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Go in a few steps. Now you can install Custom Recoveries, ROMs or root your device without any hassle. Thanks for reading.
Don’t Forget To Check: