The first step towards rooting your phone, installing a custom recovery like TWRP, installing custom ROMs, tweak the phone system, etc. is to have your phone’s bootloader unlocked so here I am going to guide you on How to Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro Officially.
Almost all the Xiaomi Phones come initially with a locked bootloader which doesn’t allow any custom binaries to be installed and it keeps the device safe. But many of the users don’t like MIUI for various reasons and they want to switch to a different custom ROM or they want to install some mods over MIUI by rooting their phone. The very first thing to achieve it is to unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro. After unlocking the bootloader, you will able to root your phone, install a custom recovery like TWRP Recovery and also install custom ROMs which are available in XDA forum.
Unlocking the Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro is not so difficult. Xiaomi officially allows you to unlock the bootloader. The unlock tool is also provided by Xiaomi officially so there is no hassle to unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro.
Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro Specifications:
- CPU – Octa-Core 2.0GHz ARM Cortex-A53
- Chipset – Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 MSM8953
- GPU – Qualcomm Adreno 506, 650 MHz
- Camera – 12MP f/2.2 + 5 Megapixels f/2.2 with Dual-LED Flash and AF Dual Rear Camera | 5 Megapixel Front camera with Face Unlock
- Memory – RAM- 3GB/4GB LPDDR3, 933MHz | ROM 32GB/64GB External Memory Support up to 256GB (Dedicated)
- Display – Screen size 5.84-inches IPS, LCD, FHD+ Display (1080 x 2280 Pixels), 19:9 Ratio
- Battery – Non-Removable 4,000mAh Lithium-Polymer
- SIM – Dual SIM (Nano-SIM + Nano-SIM), Dual Standby
- Sensors – Proximity Sensor, Accelerometer, Ambient Light, Compass Sensor, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyroscope
- Colour – Black, Blue, Gold, Rose Gold, Red
- Operating System – Android 8.1 Oreo (Android One) with MIUI UI
- I/O Interface – 2 x Nano SIM Card Slot, microSD/TF Card Slot, Micro USB Port, 3.5mm Audio Out Port, Power Button, Volume Button, Microphone, Speaker
So, these were the specifications of Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro (Mi A2 Lite). Now, let’s move towards the tutorial on how to unlock bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro with the official method. But before that let me explain to you the advantages and disadvantages of unlocking the bootloader.
Advantages: Reasons To Unlock Bootloader Of Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro
- Install Custom Recovery: After unlocking the bootloader, you can now install custom recovery on your phone as stock recovery comes with several limitations and custom recovery for eg. TWRP Recovery provides several functions for the phone.
- Root Your Phone: Locked bootloader doesn’t allow to root your phone but you can do that after unlocking the bootloader. But remember, the only root through SuperSu or Magisk via custom recovery, don’t use one click root tools as they can damage your phone permanently.
- Install Custom ROM: If you are fed up with the official MIUI ROM of your phone then its time to unlock the bootloader of your Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro so that you will be able to install custom ROMs and enjoy the AOSP ROMs.
Apart from these, there are also various other advantages you can achieve after unlocking the bootloader.
Disadvantages: Reasons Not To Unlock Bootloader Of Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro
- OTA Updates: Unlocked phones tend to receive very few OTA updates that it pushed by the Xiaomi itself. You cannot upgrade to the latest official MIUI ROM once you unlock the Bootloader but you can do it manually if you need. Only automatic updates aren’t pushed.
- Brick Your Phone: Once you unlock your phone’s bootloader, your phone is now exposed to several risks. It may brick as well if you fail to install custom mods, recoveries or ROMs due to untrusted files or your phone can even brick while rooting. So be cautious about that. Check out How to Unbrick Phone without PC if you bricked your phone.
- Find Device: You cannot use Mi Find through Mi account once you have unlocked your bootloader. But don’t worry, you can still find your device through google account.
This was all about the merits and demerits on unlocking bootloader of Redmi 6 Pro. Now, let’s begin with the real unlocking procedure.
You will need the following things to unlock the bootloader:
- Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro
- A PC (I prefer Windows OS)
- USB Data Cable (Original)
- Mi Unlock Tool
- Mi Account associated with the phone
- USB Drivers (adb and fastboot)
How To Unlock Bootloader Of Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro (Mi A2 Lite)
Make sure you have all the things as I mentioned above. Then follow the instructions below to unlock the Bootloader.
- Turn on your PC and install the required drivers.Get Minimal ADB and Fastboot Drivers and 15 Seconds ADB installer. The driver installation procedure is mentioned on their respective pages.
- Now Download Mi Unlock Tool from Official MI Unlock Tool Download Page. Sign in through the Mi Account Logged On your Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro and Download the tool on your pc.
3. Bind your Mi account to Mi Unlock Tool.
For the binding, on your phone, Go to Settings -> About Phone and Tap on Miui Version 7-8 times continuously until it says ” You are now a developer” then go back to Additional Settings -> Developers Options -> Mi Unlock Status -> Add account and Device.
4. Now, log on to i.mi.com through your Mi Browser and make sure your device is shown online on Find Device option.
5. On your PC, Extract the MI Unlock Tool Zip and install Mi Drivers which is inside the Zip archive then Run Mi Unlock as an administrator.
6. Log in with the same Mi Account and it should tell you to plug your phone in fastboot mode.
7. Turn Off your Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro and press and hold Volume – and Power button simultaneously for few seconds until a robot comes in the screen saying fastboot.
8. Connect your phone to PC using original MI USB Cable and Mi Unlock Tool should show your device as connected. If not then re-install the adb and fastboot drivers properly.
9. Click on Unlock Button and wait for 100% and reboot. You will see the Unlocked text on the boot screen and Congratulations, you have successfully unlocked the Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro.
10. If it fails then wait for 72 hours and then retry, it should unlock.
So, this was all about how to unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro Officially. Now you can install the custom recovery, root your phone or do anything which was not possible to do without unlocking the bootloader.