How To Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Y3
Hello Redmi Y3 users, Are you fed up with the stock MIUI ROM on your device and with its features? And do you want to install custom ROMs or root your Xiaomi Redmi Y3 for adding some custom juices or extending your phone’s functionality with root access or xposed? Then the most important thing for that is to have a custom recovery installed on your phone and TWRP Recovery is the most famous and literally the best custom Recovery that everyone loves to have it on their phone. So I am going to show you how to install twrp recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Y3 through this post.
Installing TWRP Recovery is not a big task but in order to be eligible to install custom recovery on your phone, you need to unlock its bootloader. Don’t feel panic as I have already posted the full guide on How To Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Y3. Check it out and have your bootloader unlocked then proceed. Otherwise, you cannot install the TWRP Recovery on Redmi Y3.
Xiaomi Redmi Y3 brief specifications:
- Display: 6.26-inch with 2.5D curved glass display, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Resolution: HD+ (1520 × 720 pixels); 19:9 aspect ratio
- Chipset: Snapdragon 632; 14nm Mobile Platform
- CPU: Octa-Core 1.8GHz
- GPU: Adreno 506
- RAM: 3GB/4GB
- Storage: 32GB/64GB storage, expandable memory up to 512GB with microSD
- Software & UI: Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 10
- Rear Camera: Dual Camera setup – (12MP primary camera, f/2.2 aperture, PDAF) + (2MP depth sensor), LED flash
- Front Camera: 32MP, 1/2.8″ sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/2.25 aperture
- Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery: 4000mAh battery with 10-watt fast charging
- Colors: Elegant Blue, Bold Red, Prime Black
Xiaomi Redmi Y3 is an excellent budget Android smartphone that comes with decent features at a small price. And even more can be achieved after you install twrp recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Y3.
Before installing the TWRP Recovery, let’s go through some advantages and disadvantages or installing it on Redmi Y3. Make sure that you agree with all the consequences that might happen while or after installing the custom recovery as this site is not responsible for any damages that occur on your phone so proceed with caution.
Merits: Reasons to Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Y3
TWRP Recovery provides several functions to your phone which can be termed as the advantages. Some of them are listed below:
- You can install custom ROMs and get rid of MIUI. Custom ROMs can be found on XDA forum.
- You can root your phone within a minute with SuperSu or Magisk whichever you prefer.
- You can install custom kernels to extend your phone’s performance and battery.
- You can overclock or underclock your CPU by the help of many flashable zips.
- You can get a lot of mods on the internet that can be flashed through TWRP Recovery to enrich the features and much more.
Demerits: Reasons Not to Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Y3
Along with several advantages, installing TWRP Recovery also comes with some risks that may negatively affect your phone. Some of them are listed below:
- You will no longer receive official OTA updates.
- Your warranty is now void.
- Flashing zips from untrusted sources can cause bootloop to your phone. But bootloops can be fixed easily and I have already written on how to fix bootloop on android without pc.
So, now let’s proceed toward the installation of TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Y3.
How To Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Y3:
You will need the following things to install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Y3:
- Redmi Y3 with Unlocked Bootloader
- A PC or Laptop
- Adb and Fastboot Drivers
- Original USB Data Cable
- Lazyflasher Zip
- TWRP img file for Xiaomi Redmi Y3. Get it from here
The img file may not be released for Redmi Y3 yet. So you need to wait for it until it gets released. Your device codename is onc_global or onc_india . If you got the img from any other site then make sure it is for Redmi Y3 or for the codename that I said above.
- Install the adb and fastboot drivers on your pc. You may need to disable driver signature enforcement for that.
- Download the twrp img file for your phone and rename it as recovery.img.
- Switch off your phone then press and hold Power + Volume Down button until a robot comes saying fastboot mode as below.
4. Connect your phone to PC using the original data cable. Make sure the device is recognized on PC.
5. Move to the folder where recovery.img file is located and then on the blank space, press Shift + Right click on the mouse and choose ‘Open Command Window Here‘.
6. On the command window, type following command and press enter
It should output with the device serial ID. If not then you should reinstall the drivers properly.
7. Now type the following command and press enter.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
8. Wait for the installation to complete then enter the following command.
9. TWRP Recovery will reboot. Swipe to allow modifications. A final step is still not completed.
10. Move the lazyflasher zip to your phone’s internal storage and flash it.
11. Now reboot and TWRP Installation is completed successfully.
So, this was all about how to install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Y3. Now you can root, install custom ROMs or kernels and flash several other zips through TWRP Recovery.
Thanks for reading. Also Read: