Hello Redmi 6 Pro users, Are you fed up with the stock MIUI ROM on your device and with its features? And do you want to install custom ROMs or root your Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro for adding some custom juices or extending your phone’s functionality with root access or xposed? Then the most important thing for that is to have a custom recovery installed on your phone. So I am going to show you how to install twrp recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro (Mi A2 Lite) through this post.
Installing TWRP Recovery is not a big task but in order to be eligible to install custom recovery on your phone, you need to unlock its bootloader. Don’t feel panic as I have already posted the full guide on How To Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro. Check it out and have your bootloader unlocked then proceed. Otherwise, you cannot install the TWRP Recovery on Redmi 6 Pro.
Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro brief specifications:
Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro comes with the following features:
- CPU – Octa-Core 2.0GHz ARM Cortex-A53
- Chipset – Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 MSM8953
- GPU – Qualcomm Adreno 506, 650 MHz
- Camera – 12MP f/2.2 + 5 Megapixels f/2.2 with Dual-LED Flash and AF Dual Rear Camera | 5 Megapixel Front camera with Face Unlock
- Memory – RAM- 3GB/4GB LPDDR3, 933MHz | ROM 32GB/64GB External Memory Support up to 256GB (Dedicated)
- Display – Screen size 5.84-inches IPS, LCD, FHD+ Display (1080 x 2280 Pixels), 19:9 Ratio
- Battery – Non-Removable 4,000mAh Lithium-Polymer
- SIM – Dual SIM (Nano-SIM + Nano-SIM), Dual Standby
- Sensors – Proximity Sensor, Accelerometer, Ambient Light, Compass Sensor, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyroscope
- Colour – Black, Blue, Gold, Rose Gold, Red
- Operating System – Android 8.1 Oreo (Android One) with MIUI UI
- I/O Interface – 2 x Nano SIM Card Slot, microSD/TF Card Slot, Micro USB Port, 3.5mm Audio Out Port, Power Button, Volume Button, Microphone, Speaker
So, these were the specifications of Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro. Now, let’s move towards the tutorial on how to install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro.
Before installing the TWRP Recovery, let’s go through some advantages and disadvantages or installing it on Redmi 6 Pro. Make sure that you agree with all the consequences that might happen while or after installing the custom recovery as this site is not responsible for any damages that occur on your phone so proceed with caution.
Merits: Reasons to Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro
TWRP Recovery provides several functions to your phone which can be termed as the advantages. Some of them are listed below:
- You can install custom ROMs and get rid of MIUI. Custom ROMs can be found on XDA forum.
- You can root your phone within a minute with SuperSu or Magisk whichever you prefer.
- You can install custom kernels to extend your phone’s performance and battery.
- You can overclock or underclock your CPU by the help of many flashable zips.
- You can get a lot of mods on the internet that can be flashed through TWRP Recovery to enrich the features and much more.
Demerits: Reasons Not to Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi 6 Pro
Along with several advantages, installing TWRP Recovery also comes with some risks that may negatively affect your phone. Some of them are listed below:
- You will no longer receive official OTA updates.
- Your warranty is now void.
- Flashing zips from untrusted sources can cause bootloop to your phone. But bootloops can be fixed easily and I have already written on how to fix bootloop on android without pc.
So, now let’s proceed toward the installation of TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro.
How To Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro (Mi A2 Lite):
You will need the following things to install TWRP Recovery on Redmi 6 Pro:
- Redmi 6 Pro with Unlocked Bootloader
- A PC or Laptop
- Adb and Fastboot Drivers
- Original USB Data Cable
- Lazyflasher Zip
- TWRP img file for Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro. Get its latest version from here
- Install the adb and fastboot drivers on your pc. You may need to disable driver signature enforcement for that.
- Download the twrp img file for your phone and rename it as recovery.img.
- Switch off your phone then press and hold Power + Volume Down button until a robot comes saying fastboot mode as below.
4. Connect your phone to PC using the original data cable. Make sure the device is recognized on PC.
5. Move to the folder where recovery.img file is located and then on the blank space, press Shift + Right click on the mouse and choose ‘Open Command Window Here‘. You can also open cmd and move to the folder where recovery file is located.
6. On the command window, type following command and press enter
It should output with the device serial ID. If not then you should reinstall the drivers properly.
7. Now type the following command and press enter.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
8. Wait for the installation to complete then enter the following command.
9. TWRP Recovery will reboot. Swipe to allow modifications. A final step is still not completed.
10. Move the lazyflasher zip to your phone’s internal storage and flash it.
11. Now Reboot. Done
So, this was all about how to install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro (Mi A2 Lite). Now you can root, install custom ROMs or kernels and flash several other zips through TWRP Recovery.
Thanks for reading. Also read: